Shiners News · Semi-Final of Sectionals Rising Sun 1 Southwestern 0

Rising Sun wins and advances

1st half RS out shot 10-4 (6-2 on goal)

2nd half RS out shot 9-5 (3-0 on goal)

6:42 – Jake Bovard assisted by Landon Cole

Rising Sun outshot Southwestern 19-9 (9-2 on goal)

Jordan Parson had 2 saves

The semi-final was a match-up of the first and second place teams from conference. Rising Sun and Southwestern had already faced each other twice, both games ended in draws. This time had to be different, there had to be a winner. Last Friday the two teams meet with Rising Sun taking an early lead and Southwestern getting a dramatic late goal as Rising Sun holding on for the conference title. So with the first two games having a combined two goals scored, you had to figure this was going to be a defensive battle and that one goal would decide the game. As expected neither team had many opportunities. Jake Bovard received the ball at the top of the penalty area a few times but the Southwestern defense quickly closed down and he could not get an open shot. With about 15 minutes to go in the first half Adam Anderson, Southwestern’s leading scorer, broke free down the right sideline his cross was head toward goal and hit the under-side of the cross bar and bounced away. Five minutes later Jake Bovard finally broke through Southwestern’s defense but before it could poke the ball in the Southwestern keeper cleared the ball away. The first half ended scoreless.

Rising Sun had what little wind that there was at their backs for the second half and hoped it would help break the deadlock. Again the two strong defenses limited any opportunities. Southwestern had a small opening finally with 10 minutes to play but the shot sailed over the net. Finally with about 7 minutes to go, Jake Bovard received the ball out wide. He made a quick pass to Landon Cole, who flicked it past the defender to put Jake through. Jake took one dribble to get the ball under control and put one under the keeper’s left hand into the bottom of the goal to give Rising Sun a lead at last. The previous game Southwestern switched their keeper, Mitchell Kline, to the front line where he scored the tying goal. With 4 minutes to play and injury stopped the game and Southwestern tried the maneuver again. This time the Rising Sun defense prevented Southwestern from having any shots, and earned a well-deserved victory. In a game that truly was as great as expected, Rising Sun now moves on to face South Ripley Saturday night at 7 pm for the Sectional title.